Sunday 25 October 2015

Grandma's Wheaten Bread Recipe

This is one of the best wheaten breads I've ever had, it's got a doughy texture, is so dense and tastes perfect when you toast it and smother it in butter.  My grandmother used to make this for us when we stayed at her house and we could never get enough of it!  Always arguing over who gets the last piece.

The recipe my grandma used was slightly different because she used to just throw a handful or two of each in.  She had made it so often that it just became second nature to her.  We didn't get the chance to get the actual recipe from her but this is as close as we could get.  

Time: 15 minutes prep; approx. 1 hour cooking time

What you need:
2lb loaf tin
Metal tablespoon + teaspoon
Scales
Mixer
Measuring jug

Ingredients:
500g wholemeal flour
3 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
300ml butter milk
300ml water

Method:
Mix all ingredients together until well combined

Put into a well greased tin (I use a 9.5in(24cm) square tin and I also line with baking paper)

Bake on middle shelf of oven at 170 degrees c for approx. 1 hour

It will sound hollow when cooked if you knock the bottom when you turn it out.


Let me know how this goes for you!  I'm sure it will be super tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment